An Authorial Aside

HISTORICAL RECREATION OF THE LAST NINE MONTHS:

Aaaanyways one thing is certain folks and that is:

58 Comments

1. imayer on October 23, 2011 at 1:38 am

Have you considered writing an illustrated joint-biography of Lovelace/Byron/King (I never know what to call her) and Babbage? I absolutely adore your first ‘historically accurate’ comic (Also, it made me think of Larry Gonick’s cartoon history of the world), but it doesn’t go into nearly as much depth as your usually-hilarious footnotes. And I think the world could use a biography as funny and well-researched as yours would be.

This actually happening would be super awesome, and I would be thrilled to help with it, if help were needed. (I have degrees in CS and creative writing, so could probably help with that, or with paper-pushing type work). I left my email – contact me if interested?

2. Susan on October 14, 2011 at 6:33 pm

I can’t tell you how much enjoyment I get from the adventures of Lovelace & Babbage (and Brunel) and it is an absolutely delightful diversion to daydream about a FILM VERSION. I mean, can you just imagine?! I can! It would kick derriere!

You are entitled to take your time and make sure you have space to breathe… just know we will all be glad to see more pictures as you have leisure.

3. Teenygozer on October 6, 2011 at 1:33 am

Oh, my; what *adorable* little monsters!!!

4. DebbieG on October 5, 2011 at 3:32 am

“Comics will be drawn!”….. and there is the line in the sand. Yay! And the better a thing is, the more patience one can have waiting for it. Awaiting very patiently…

5. David on October 4, 2011 at 5:26 pm

I will patiently await the next comic since it just worth waiting for. In the meantime I will subsume my impatience with beer and graduate school.

6. elizabeth on October 4, 2011 at 8:22 am

I hope the Dead Tree version will be available in time for holiday gifting. :D

Will the App have a link to the user comments here? They are also highly entertaining and informative. :)

7. Marion on October 3, 2011 at 9:19 am

*squee*

8. E-wit on October 2, 2011 at 10:11 pm

You bet, Sydney — keep on trucking’. We’ll wait!

9. Karen on October 2, 2011 at 4:15 pm

I sit here in my Babbage & Lovelace tee, drinking coffee from my Lovelace & Babbage mug, (no kidding!) once again charmed by Sydney. Please consider the Android folks and get someone to devise an app for us. I spread the Gospel of Syd whenever I can so your genius can be rewarded! May your muse be good to you – and us!

10. Patrick Connors on October 1, 2011 at 11:43 pm

Take your time, take care of yourself, and do the comic right. I used to work in video games so I completely understand the pressure you’ve been under wit the Barsoomian (Barsoomite?) monsters. In the meantime, re-reads of the stories to date are well worth my time.

And by the way, if the “Comics Will Be Drawn!” panel were to suddenly appear in your Shop in a men’s XL t-shirt, I might well invest in one.

11. Kristin Norwood on October 1, 2011 at 9:47 pm

Lady Ada Day in 1 week!!!!

12. Tealin on October 1, 2011 at 8:30 pm

Honestly you could never draw another proper comic and keep stringing me along with these little stop-gap doodles and I’d still be entertained . . . though I’d have the vague sense of something missing in my life that would bother me during quieter moments.

I’m glad this gift was given to you, regardless of Real Jobs and Crunches and all that. You have the ideal blend of dedication and irreverence to pull it off, to the extent that time allows. In the meantime, your app is so far the only thing that has successfully made me almost consider wanting an iPad, so maybe Apple should be sponsoring you. :)

13. sweetfa on October 1, 2011 at 1:40 pm

Skips happily (Not really. That would be ludicrous). But very pleased.

14. David on October 1, 2011 at 10:43 am

Hahaha brilliant, thanks for the update Sydney, loved this post…

15. Anon, a Mouse on October 1, 2011 at 4:21 am

SQEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!!!

Hooray! No worries on your comic production schedule. We will all be here, pleasantly surprised, amused and enlightened when you post. Even most full-time comic artists only post new pages (smaller than your updates; a regular print-sized page pages) once a week, if that often. And don’t worry about the first-drafty feeling! You’ve got time to go back and update things before you go to print. Or final post.

Speaking of print/final post… please, please include these “Dear Reader” interludes. You are a comic genius even in real life. Pun intentional.

16. Jha on October 1, 2011 at 1:10 am

Aww!! Bo-peep Sydney is the awesomest!

17. Mary Ellen on October 1, 2011 at 12:58 am

What Philippa and bunches of others here have said. Seems to me that the atmosphere of fun, and love of science and history and fantasy, and give and take around here is such that you needn’t worry too much (UNLESS you find it helpful to worry!) about “what the comic is”. If there’s a ton of stuff you want to do, that is simply wonderful. However long it happens to take for the current to come up to the surface and into forms you’re happy with, that’s art and that’s how it works.

18. Kay on September 30, 2011 at 11:42 pm

Your comic’s FREE. I, for one, am not biting the hand that draws me lovely comics. Absolutely no apologies are required.
    Take all the time you need to draw. You will NEVER leave my feed!
    (Also, I will most definitely buy multiple copies of this marvelous comic if you publish in print. Multiple, I say! I also anxously await The App.)

• Ken on October 8, 2011 at 11:45 pm

Perzackly. Never complain about free ice cream, even when one plans to buy a buyable version later.

19. MJD on September 30, 2011 at 7:37 pm

What can one say except, well, Huzzah!

• Conrad on October 4, 2011 at 11:21 pm

“Huzzah!”, indeed!

20. Roberto on September 30, 2011 at 10:50 am

Cool!!

21. MrSmith on September 30, 2011 at 7:59 am

All the funny comments have already been made; just adding my voice to the general chorus of approval!

22. Phillippa on September 30, 2011 at 2:50 am

Joining the chorus: So glad the monsters didn’t trample/dismember/chow down on you. As the world’s slowest novelist, I am not in any position to judge. You take time to figure out where you want this to go and update whenever you have something you’re willing to let the rest of us see, Sydney. You’ve added a lot of joy to the world already.

23. Terry P-B on September 30, 2011 at 2:29 am

My hero! This is a red-letter day: “The Return of the Author!” And I heartily second Josef’s comment: I’d pay for it. Oh dear, another creepy comment…

24. Ian on September 29, 2011 at 10:53 pm

Dammit, can I edit that ‘yourself’ to ‘herself?’
    No, I can’t.
    Bother.

25. Ian on September 29, 2011 at 10:53 pm

Your work is awesome. No one should doubt your commitment. We are getting more than our money’s worth.

Although, half the entertainment value of a tortured artist is watching her torture yourself.

That sounded a little creepy, didn’t it?

26. EFH on September 29, 2011 at 10:21 pm

There may actually also be a future to “The Adventures of Sydney” comics. This update is great!

27. Lance on September 29, 2011 at 9:35 pm

We demand large tables of comics…

…without error!

28. Poz on September 29, 2011 at 5:39 pm

YES! Comics WILL be Drawn! …And we shall read them, laugh, and be happy once more!

…Make it So. :)

29. Sara on September 29, 2011 at 5:21 pm

I wholeheartedly agree with Josef Svenningsson. Kickstarter is a great idea if you need some ‘tidemeover’ money while doing the next story.
    Also – count me in the very pleased crowd for the new story!
    Also, whether or not you think you are actually creating “something”, it sure feels like it something to the rest of us. In fact it feels a whole lot like a wonderful something.
    I am looking forward to the curious and scientific adventures of Lovelace and Babbage. And of course the daring and dastardly Brunel.

30. Ceridwen on September 29, 2011 at 3:12 pm

Take a break. It is what it is and will become what it will become. You can’t stop it. Underlying it all: “Comics will be drawn!”

31. Marrock on September 29, 2011 at 2:32 pm

Last panel = epic

32. Ken on September 29, 2011 at 1:49 pm

That is nearly a Significant Kirby Pose in the last panel. :-)

33. Kat on September 29, 2011 at 1:41 pm

Many of us have been amazed that you have been able to produce ANY comics (especially given the breadth of research you give to each…) while holding down a full-time job. We will be happy to see whatever you provide – whenever you provide it.

We are your dogs lying hopefully under the dinner table of your creativity – waiting for whatever scraps come to us, because they are so TASTY!

34. Josef Svenningsson on September 29, 2011 at 1:13 pm

So you’re not sure what this something is that you have been playing with. I say: keep doing what you’re doing, we all love it. And eventually I think you’ll find out.
    Of course there is the issue of having to feed oneself. In case you do eventually realize what this something is that you’re doing then I suggest you pledge some money for it, at, say, kickstarter. I know there’s lots of us who would be willing to chip in to help further the cause of the comic.

• James on October 3, 2011 at 3:01 am

Hear, hear.

35. John on September 29, 2011 at 12:16 pm

Don’t get so down on “three comics.” Even the full-time comics guys take time (Cameron Stewart’s “Sin Titulo” has been going irregularly for four years), and for something on the web that’s not a maybe-funny quicky? No big deal if it takes a while. As someone else mentioned, RSS means knowing a new page is up pretty quick without spending day and night clicking “Refresh.”

• Danny on September 30, 2011 at 6:59 pm

So true! There’s a lot of content here, good depth.. C’mon, peoples.. can any of us honestly say that we’ve squeezed ALL the juice out of the footnotes, primary documents, and pretty links provided herein?

36. Owen Fleet on September 29, 2011 at 10:46 am

LET ALL THE COMICS BE DRAWN!

37. the doodler on September 29, 2011 at 10:29 am

Comics will be drawn? Then comics will be read! And admired. And possibly bought, as well.

38. Slants on September 29, 2011 at 10:28 am

As a fellow drawing person, I feel your pain. Keeping a drawing schedule is the bane of all artists

39. Ellie on September 29, 2011 at 9:44 am

Every posting here is a pleasure to read – including the non-comic ones! Patience is rewarded and it’s understandable that monster battling can get in the way of comics. If only you could enslist Brunel to keep them in check… but that would probably lead to more problems than it solved.
    Good luck!

40. tudza on September 29, 2011 at 8:38 am

Yes, time to draw a line in the sand. Make it Lovelace shaped.

41. Samara on September 29, 2011 at 8:30 am

Hey, the playwrights of the world feel you on this, and support you on your taking-the-time-it-takes journey, yo. *(Whistles “Art isn’t easy” riff from “Sunday in the Park with George.”)* Breathe. Eat. You are nice to apologize, but we’re not paying you, so…

42. Marie Brennan on September 29, 2011 at 8:06 am

Woot comics!

The nice thing about an RSS feed is that I can afford to be patient. Whenever something new shows up, I get notified, and then I read it with delight.

43. Lady Tsara on September 29, 2011 at 6:57 am

“COMICS WILL BE DRAWN!”

Hear Hear! Let there be comics!

44. James on September 29, 2011 at 3:57 am

Also your fans shall worship you from afar (concurrent with other fans persuading rich people etc.)

45. Judy on September 29, 2011 at 3:52 am

I shall start a campaign to make rich people give you their money so that henceforth you may stay home (and well away from monsters) and only draw comics!

46. Darryl on September 29, 2011 at 2:58 am

Eagerly awaiting the iPad app so I can read ’em all again while waiting for whatever you come up with next!

47. Brian on September 29, 2011 at 2:36 am

DRAW ALL THE COMICS!

48. Morris Keesan on September 29, 2011 at 2:14 am

Extremely pleased.

49. Kim on September 29, 2011 at 2:06 am

Your fans are VERY pleased at the thought of comics being drawn!

50. MadRat on September 29, 2011 at 1:38 am